Thursday, November 19, 2020

Seize the Birthday: Sparkle & Shine


It's a Seize the Birthday Thursday! That means I got to make a birthday card! :D Seemed like such a change from Christmas cards and tags. Although not that big a change, since our new *topping* is... Sparkle & Shine! Before we begin, let us all take a moment to agree that sparkle and shine on cards is very hard to photograph. So imagine my card in real life: 


I tried foiling with transfer gel and my die cutting machine for the first time, and I may have a new addiction! This is done with a fireworks stencil and rainbow shattered glass foil. (I bought the foil after a storeowner told me it would work for hot foiling. It does not. So of course I had to get some transfer gel so the foil wouldn't go to waste. That's how we crafters think, right?) It worked so well and is so shiny in real life. It was hard to know exactly how to add a sentiment without taking away too much from the image, but the central banner sentiment seemed the best. A reasonably quick card to make with major impact! First time with the stencil, the gel and the foil, so off to Darnell's NBUS challenge this goes, as well as to the STAMPlorations stencil challenge


Beautiful inspiration from my Seize the Birthday teammates, and our continuing surprise party guest, Julie! Add some sparkle and shine (or not, we accept all birthday cards) to your life and play along! 





Supplies: Recollections black cardstock, Hero Arts Rocket Thanks stamp, Versamark ink, Wow detail white embossing powder, CUTplorations fireworks stencil, Thermoweb Transfer Gel Duo, iCraft Rainbow Shattered Glass Deco-foil, MFT Blueprints 29 banner die, foam tape

Pin It Now!

15 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Ooooooo, looks brilliant, Lindsey! What a fabby take on the theme. I'm planning to play along as I need a few more birthday cards in my stash, Jo x

JulieP said...

Kinda like "if you give a pig a pancake..." ROFL! I'm going to have to get me some of this duo. I might actually foil if I don't have to pull out my Minc. Btw....this photographed beautifully.

Barbara said...

Wowzer!!!!! I LOVE this card! What a way to end this 2020 year of Challenges for Seize the Birthday.

Joyce said...

This is so gorgeous. I have not yet jumped into the foiling pond, but mayve you are going to push me right in. The black background is such a dramatic change from white and really shows off your shimmer to great effect.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Perfect image for the sparkle & shine option

Inkami said...

CAS perfection on this foiled design!

cm said...

Gorgeous! Welcome to the Foil Addiction club!
hugs~c

TaeEun said...

Oh! The rainbow foil looks so gorgeous, Lindsey! I didn't know that the transfer gel works with a die cutting machine!

JoAnn said...

Great save with that pretty rainbow foil. Very striking and pretty.

Nancy said...

This is wonderful Lindsey and I had to laugh as I have foil and also bought transfer gel and have yet to crack the seal. The colors are amazing!!! Love it! Maybe I will just have to give this a go soon! Thanks for the push!

Cathy said...

Stunning card, those vibrant colours are so dramatic on the black! Sparkly perfection! Cathy x

Ashwini Rao said...

Its so gorgeous!! I mean.. the minimalistic design with the beautiful rainbow colored foil..awesome!! Just awesome!!

shirley-bee said...

This card must be dazzling IRL, Lindsey, because you’ve certainly captured the shine on your photo. Transfer gel - ah, yes, I’ve got an unopened jar of that ...

Glenda J said...

As I've mentioned - I love this card and am in awe of the technique! It's absolutely stunning - well done my friend.

Dandi93 said...

WOW! LOVE THIS