Tuesday, November 5, 2019

25 Days of Christmas Tags: Day 2


Here we are at Day 2 of Tracey McNeely's 25 Days of Christmas Tags event, and today Ellen Hutson is our generous sponsor. 


Ellen Hutson sent Tracey's Tag Team the Essentials by Ellen Hard Candy Christmas stamp set and dies. Despite my lack of affection for making shaker tags or cards, I knew, sadly, that this is what I wanted to do. 


For the candy jar, I die cut one solid base, then four others where I also cut out the centre section. The sides of the candy jar are just too thin for any foam tape! And while I did try cutting it out of fun foam, the foam stretched in cutting just enough that it wouldn't cooperate. So layering and gluing it was. I cut two more solid jars, one from acetate, and one of cardstock that I stamped and embossed in silver before cutting the centre out. I also stamped and die cut several silver-wrapped candies. After much careful gluing then weighting with my Oxford dictionary for a while, I tied the silver cord around the lid handle and the tag was done.


Of course by the time I had done all that, I'd realized there was a WAY easier version I could make: 


Candy patterned paper! Sandwiched between a cardstock base and an open top layer, this took much less time and energy. :D 


Be sure to check Tracey's blog for delicious inspiration from my Tag Teammates and members of the Ellen Hutson team. Remember to visit the main post and link-up for all the guidelines. There are prizes to be won both for commenting and for creating tags inspired by today's creations! 

Our amazing sponsors!

Supplies: (shaker) Neenah white cardstock, silver pearl paper, Lawn Fawn patterned paper, acetate, Essentials by Ellen Hard Candy Christmas stamps & dies, Versamark, Versafine onyx black & Catherine Pooler rockin' red ink, Ranger silver embossing powder, silver elastic cord, Offray red ribbon

Pin It Now!

30 comments:

Isabel Z said...

Love your choice of colors!

Kristie Goulet said...

These are both great! Shaker tags are so much fun!

Barbara Godden said...

A shaker tag, how ingenious, it's a lot of work but it's great. Its not fun when the fun foam stretches (been there) The other candy tag looks yummy, nice job on both.

Beverly S. said...

Of course we always figure out a simpler way AFTER we do it the hard way. ;) Both tags are pretty either way. ;)

Liz O. said...

Love both versions of your design, but must confess that shakers are a little addiction of mine and of course I always gravitate to them, Thanks for the inspiration Lindsey!

MadeByMeghanK said...

I love the peppermint one!

Barbara said...

Both of these are so cute! The candy jar makes the perfect tag design, I think!

Tracey McNeely said...

Both of these are fantastic Lindsey! I love the silver embossed candies, again so elegant! Yes the thin walls made foam impossible, I did the same cutting multiple layers. Mind you getting the centres lined up on all of them was challenging! The red peppermints on your second tag is definitely CASE-worthy!

Joyce said...

So very cute and 'sweet', Lindsay. (had to add that cheezy pun). Love both versions. I found that this set was just begging to be used as a shaker card, but it was a challenging feat to pull off, so congrats to you for getting it right.

V. K. said...

Your hard work on the shaker paid off as it is so elegant. Love the idea you had on your second tag with the peppermint candies.

Denise Bryant said...

Fabulous tags! I love that candy jar!

Nandini said...

These tags are so gorgeous! I love all of them!

Heatheranne Whitman said...

Love the tags! Using a shaped jar tag as a shaker tag is too fun! :-)

Dotty Jo said...

Wow, stunning tags! You are clever, Jo x

Karen Letchworth said...

Great job, Lindsey! I love the traditional jar of red Christmas candies, but I also love the unexpected silver ones as well. Very creative and fun designs that give us LOTS of great inspiration. I don't know HOW I can recreate this one, but it's definitely giving me some inspiration here, and I'll have to be creative enough to come up with something to put on a tag and enter in the 25 Days of Christmas Tags. Thanks for inspiring and sharing.
Blessings,
Karen L
www.karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

Mary Holshouser said...

Love the shaker. Might have been
the devil to make but it was
well-worth the effort. How
wonderful to have candy paper
for the inside of the other jar.
thanks for sharing
txmlhl(at)yahoo(dot0com

Lauryne Cunningham said...

Pretty tags! I love that tags don't have to be square all the time- love the candy jars! The red one is awesome!

Jeanne H said...

You've really done it this time. Super fun candy jars especially the shaker one. Very inspiring.

Kim Heggins said...

Just so beautiful Lindsey! Love your sweet candy jars, those silver candies are so elegant and festive!!!

Jen P said...

Great tags! I love the way yo used the candy dish!

Jane B. said...

Thanks for sharing two different tags using the same set. I love them both. It is always helpful to have a quick tag when time is short!

JulieP said...

I do love your silver shaker but honestly, I love the pattern paper one more....perhaps for the bright colors but simpler is always better in my book too.

Dawn S. said...

Love the silver candies, and the peppermint patterned paper!

cm said...

I admire your perseverance with the shaker and the incredibly 'sweet' result! I started heading down the 'many layers' direction; then realized how poorly I was aligning the opening! That's when I remembered the laminating video! So much easier!
Your second is delightfully bright and festive! Who makes that paper; positively scrumptious!
hugs~c

Teresa Godines #6857 said...

I love that you used the jar as the tag base. thanks for the inspiration

Bunny said...

Both tags are great but I gotta say the red one is beautiful. You cracked me up about the dictionary had to be brought out. I have a garbage can and a recycle bin next to my desk. Just for those items that are so aggravating. Ugh! You were tenacious though! [Bunny]

Nox said...

Great candy themed tags - love the red and white one for the bright, traditional colour, but love that the first one looks like a shaker tag - a candy jar - great idea!

Gail said...

Love the tags and especially the peppermint!

Annette Reed said...

These look great. Even though the first one too longer I like it better. I love the silver and white. I also like the first one for it's shaker aspect. That bit is lost in the second one.

Dana M said...

Oh what fabulously fun and festive shaker tags - Awesome!