Monday, November 12, 2018

What About Christmas Cards?

Here we are, closing in on the middle of November (eek!) and while my stack of Christmas tags is growing rapidly, the same cannot be said for this year's Christmas cards. So I found me some challenges, and took a tag break this afternoon. 
First up, an elegant poinsettia:


I was fairly sure Copic markers and this gold tinsel embossing powder would not get along well, so I started by stamping the poinsettia in a light ink, and leaving the stamp where it was in my MISTI. I then coloured the poinsettia before reinking, this time in Versamark, so I could add the sparkly gold. Then I masked the flower to add some evergreen sprigs. The sentiment is embossed in the same gold. I am entering this in the current Jingle Belles challenge, Mele Kalikimaka - while I'd love to have added a more Hawaiian theme, living in frosty Ontario hasn't encouraged me to buy a lot of tropically-themed Christmas stamps. A more generic flower theme will have to do. I'm also adding this to the November HLS Christmas challenge, with its optional CAS theme. 


Next up, a card that's definitely more cute than elegant: 


Shopping Our Stash has an ending in a few hours theme of "Raining Cats and Dogs". Mine has two dogs and a cat, and snow is just frozen rain, right? :D I thought this ensemble was perfect for the challenge. A fun thing about revisiting older stamps... first time I've tried colouring this trio in Copic markers! 


I may need to up the pace to have enough Christmas cards, but at least it's a start!



Supplies: (Noel) Papertrey ink white & Recollections burgundy card stock, pale gold pearl paper, Winnie & Walter In Bloom: Elsa's Flora & Papertrey Ink Text Style: Think Big Favourites #8 stamps, Versamark & Colorbox evergreen inks, Gold tinsel & Hero Arts clear sparkle embossing powders, Copic markers, MFT Blueprints 29 stitched rectangle die; (joy & love) Papertrey Ink white cardstock, Simon Says Stamp Furry Christmas & Hero Arts Friends & Family stamps, Versafine onyx black & Brilliance pearlescent sky blue inks, Ranger clear embossing powder, Copic markers, MFT diagonal stitched frame dies, frosted lace & stardust Stickles

Pin It Now!

5 comments:

Barbara Godden said...

Both cards are great, the elegance of #1 and the super cuteness of #2 Fabulous job.

SmilynStef said...

Love that gold tinsel sparkle ... so very glad you shared your bold bloom with us at jingle belles.

Inkyfingers said...

What an elegant poinsettia and I love the sparkly tinsel embossing powder! Such a pretty card.
Thanks for sharing with us at Happy Little Stampers.

lauren bergold said...

such a clever way to use the MISTI to combine markers and ep that don't play well together on this incredibly elegant card! thanks for helping us celebrate festive foliage at JINGLE BELLES! ♥

Chrissie said...

Such elegant cards, the poinsettia is simply beautiful... simply terrific stamping!
Thanks so much for playing along with Happy Little Stampers Christmas Challenge!
Chrissie