Wednesday, August 5, 2020

ABC Christmas Challenge: P, Q & R


The first Wednesday in August means the start of a new ABC Christmas Challenge! "Christmas in July" may be over, but that just means the holiday season is a month closer. And we have three prompts to inspire you in your cardmaking: P is for PINE TREES, Q is for QUIET and R is for ROBINS
I could easily make lots of cards for our first letter, P is for Pine Trees - I have lots of Christmasy tree stamps, dies and stencils. A stencil came out for this one: 



This stencil has three sizes of tree to choose from, and I used the largest with embossing paste before sprinkling on a generous quantity of this fine green glitter. And hey, so what if it's August, it's never too early to have glitter all over the house! :D Usually, I try to use loose glitter outside on our deck when weather permits, and have no idea why I didn't this time. I used a torn strip of paper as a mask and used a stippling brush to add some sky behind the tree. (Now my distress ink pads have glitter on them, too...)  A simple sentiment along the bottom lets the glittery tree take centre stage. 


I had a few different ideas for Q for Quiet, too. I chose to make a peaceful little scene: 


I think the combination of this little image with the sentiment works for a quiet, clean & simple scene. Once I had bear and company coloured, I masked the image and blended the night sky. 


R for Robins was the most difficult of the three themes for me. Robins are a symbol of Christmas in Britain much more than they are here. My Christmas birds run mostly to cardinals and penguins - other birds tend to be smaller images that have come with other sets. Eventually I found a bird stamp generic enough to colour appropriately: 


These little guys are called "Singing Bird Trio" - although to me, it looks much more like they are gossiping, so I found the smallest note stamps in my collection and added a trio of notes above their heads. I framed them in a die cut window and added the sentiment to the panel. 


Over to you! My teammates have lots of festive inspiration for you on the ABC blog, and you have the month of August to enter. 

Supplies: (pine tree) Canson bristol paper, Reverse Confetti Birdie Buddies stamp, Lawn Fawn lavender fields, faded jeans & chipped sapphire inks, The Crafter's Workshop Mini Evergreens stencil, Dreamweavers translucent embossing paste, emerald ultra fine opaque Art Institute glitter, Sugar Pea Designs card front element builder stitched die; (quiet) Neenah white & Bazzill textured navy cardstock, The Stamp Barn Polar Bears & Neat & Tangled Winter Wishes stamps, Versamark & chipped sapphire distress ink, Ranger silver embossing powder, Copic markers, frosted lace Stickles; (robins) Neenah white & scrap red cardstock, Memory Box Singing Bird Trio, Simon Says Stamp/Kelly Purkey Tis the Season & Lawn Fawn Critter Concert stamps, Versafine onyx black ink, Wow clear gloss embossing powder, watercolour pencils, Studio Katia elegant scallop oval & Winnie & Walter Katharine Cutaways dies 

Pin It Now!

9 comments:

Claire (Mrs H) said...

Just adore that tree design
Mrs H's Crafty Corner

Lynda said...

So cute - love the glittery stenciled tree, the peaceful scene - and the 'gossiping' birds. xx

Joyce said...

Wow, a trifecta! Three wonderful and inspirational cards. I particularly like the one with the 3 birds.

Helen said...

Fabulous cards Lyndsey - love that sparkly tree!
Helen x

Inkyfingers said...

What a great collection of cards, Lindsey and I especially love the bear card - it really has such a peaceful feel to it and the image is so cute! I think the fabulous sparkle on your tree is worth the all the stray glitter for a while lol! I didn't realise that the robin at Christmas was a particularly British thing so you did really well to find some in your stash.
Hope you are keeping well.
Hugs
Carol x

JulieP said...

These are all fabulous!!!

Kim Heggins said...

Wow....what a wonderful trio of festive and beautiful winter cards. Love that gorgeous tree but those sweet critters sitting in front of the moon is simply amazing!

Barbara Godden said...

What a great cards, the tree is so pretty (my thoughts would have been the gusting wind) the scene is so pretty and calm, And those gossiping robins are adorable, fabulous use of that die cut around them.

Lisa Arana said...

What a great trio of cards. They are all so wonderful.