Wednesday, June 5, 2019

ABC Christmas Challenge: L & M


It's June, and that just means Christmas is getting closer all the time! And that's why it's great to have Christmas card challenges, such as ABC Christmas Challenge! This month we are inspiring you with L is for Little and M is for Masking. The two prompts would work well together, but that would only get me one card! 😉 First up, my *little* card: 


I covered the prompt two ways, with little elves, and little in the sentiment. I hand-cut the sentiment panel to look like a big banner the elves are holding. Other than adding some Stickles to their hats and glitter marker to their belt buckles, this was a quick and simple card to make. 
Elves! I'm adding this to the current Christmas Kickstart challenge. 


Now for my masked card:


Of course I couldn't just go for simple masking, what would be the fun of that? My card was inspired by this one by Kristina Werner. I started by stamping and embossing (because why not add that extra challenging element...) the little Santa hat. Next I masked it to stamp and emboss the penguin and the present. Then I added a mask to the penguin so I could stamp the ice floe. The ice floe needed a mask too, then I masked the bottom of the card with a couple of post-it notes so I could sponge the sky. (It did occur to me after that the sky in Antarctica wouldn't be that dark in December, but hey, artistic licence.) I added a little sponging to the ice, too, for some reflection and depth. After I removed all the masks, I coloured the central images with Copics. Finally, I added a big white die cut sentiment. The little black movement marks make him seem really excited! 


Feeling inspired yet? There are lots more inspiration cards on the Happy Little Stampers blog... and you have until the end of the month to join us!



Supplies: (little) Neenah white & Recollections black cardstock, Basic Grey Evergreen patterned paper, Lawn Fawn Holiday Helpers stamps & dies, Technique Tuesday Jingle All the Way stamps, Versafine onyx black & Memento Luxe love letter ink, Wow clear & Hero Arts clear sparkle embossing powder, MFT double-stitched rectangle die, Copic markers, icicle Stickles, Gelly Roll clear glitter marker, foam tape; (masking) Neenah white cardstock, Mama Elephant Arctic Penguins stamps, Verafine onyx black, Victorian velvet, shaded lilac, faded jeans & chipped sapphire distress inks, Wow clear embossing powder, Copic markers,  CUTplorations Be Jolly & MFT wonky stitched rectangle die, Gelly Roll white glaze pen

Pin It Now!

5 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Two adorable cards, Lindsey! I love them both - don't ever make me choose between penguins and elves. Thanks for playing at The Christmas Kickstart Challenge, Jo x

Helen said...

Such sweet cards Lindsey! You did such a great job with the masking!
Helen x

Kim Heggins said...

Two simply sweet and festive Christmas card...love your adorable penguin!

Inkyfingers said...

What a fun pair of holiday cards, Lindsey! Love the cute little elves on the first card and the masking is so clever on the second one - the little penguin looks so comfortable on that ice flow lol!
Hugs
Carol x

Marina said...

Great design for the elves and love the dimensional fur.