Thursday, May 24, 2018

Seize the Patterned Paper!


It's another Seize the Birthday Thursday! This week we have a fun optional "topping" for you, one that may even help you put a dent in some of your crafty stash... use patterned paper!


There's a craft store I go to most every time we visit Ottawa that has lots of 12" x 12" patterned paper on sale. I'm always on the lookout for Graphic 45 sheets there, but also sometimes pick up sheets with fun journaling cards on them. Not that I journal; but I always think they'll come in handy if I need to make a quick and easy card. Luckily today's challenge encouraged me to actually use a few of them. In only a couple of hours, I had four finished cards! 



It started with the journal card and scrap of polka dot paper you see below. They'd somehow ended up together on my desk, and I liked how they looked. They'd likely still be there but for this challenge. 

All I really needed to do was add a bit of twine
and trace the balloon strings with glitter.

While I was at it, I thought I might as well make more cards with panels from the same sheet (ancient Fancy Pants Designs).  I found equally ancient different patterned papers to use with two others. 

This one has clear glitter pen on the
candles and candle glow.

See the black pearls? The card attributed the quote to Abraham Lincoln,
which to me seems about a accurate as a chocolate quote
I've seen ascribed to Charles Dickens. 

I felt this one looked best on a solid-coloured mat.
I got to stamp the sentiment, yay! 

To join the challenge, you definitely do not have to make four cards, and you don't even have to use patterned paper if you don't want to! We like to see all birthday-themed cards in our gallery. 
P.S. "There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." A quote by Charles Dickens? I somehow think not. :D

Supplies: white, Hero Arts daffodil layering & Bazzill dark red cardstock, various ancient patterned papers, Unity sentiment stamp, Versafine onyx black ink, Hero Arts clear sparkle embossing powder, MFT blueprints 24 & Winnie & Walter Katharine rectangular frame dies, Hemptique twine, Gelly Roll clear glitter pen, Nuvo white blizzard glitter drops, ReCollections black pearls, Marvy/Uchida corner-rounding punch, foam tape

Pin It Now!

8 comments:

Barbara Godden said...

Great cards great use of those cards,

Vicki Dutcher said...

Fabulous cards -- love the color combo too

Nancy said...

You go girl! Way to use up that patterned paper we tend to hold onto! Love them all but number three really stands out! Terrific job and have a fabulous weekend! All it's suppose to do here is rain!

Ashwini Rao said...

If the DT had a competition, you'd be the clear winner, Lindsey! I totally loved all your cards - I cab believe that you finished them in a jiffy, but I must admit, I'd never be able to do it! They all look absolutely fantastic!! :D

stampwithsandy said...

Wow, what a great collection of cards, Lindsey! I love those gorgeous papers, and your layouts really make them shine!

JoAnn said...

Lovely group of cards. Great way to use those journaling tag sheets.

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Wow, these are all awesome!

SonjaK said...

Lovely combination of journaling cards an patterned paper. Love the colors too.