Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Self-Improvement...

This week, Crafty Creations Challenges wants you to reinvent yourself! And while that may sound like exercise and dieting, it's not nearly so onerous. Pick one of your cards or other creations... and redo it! Also known as CASEing (Copy and Share Everything), we want you to go back to a previous creation and remake it -- and possibly improving it in the process. 
To narrow down the CASEing options, I decided I would go back to last season's holiday cards, and pick one to update. Of course, I ended up picking two. ;) First, I went back to a simple design I really liked.


Original details here

As often happens when CASEing, the final product is similar yet quite different:



This did start on a landscape-oriented card with a sentiment, but it just. wasn't. working. Finally I realized that the bolder colours and the different image didn't lead the eye to the sentiment, but did stand on its own. So I tossed the original card base and ended up with this. 
For my second CASE, I went back to a technique I tried for the first time with a couple of Christmas cards. 


Original details here

My brayer and I aren't always the best of friends, but using it to apply Stickles to a dry-embossed panel works for me! I thought I'd try to extend the technique beyond the festive season. 



Purple is hard to photograph; glitter is hard to photograph; but I hope you get the general idea. I wasn't necessarily planning to follow the layout of my original card, it just worked out that way. Do these little chicks not look ready to celebrate? Of course I had to add a dab of Stickles to each of the party hat pompoms, as well. This one's going in the current My Graphico Anything Goes challenge. 

Now it's your turn to look back on your past work and pick something to reinvent! Our generous sponsor this week is Whiff of Joy



Supplies: (floral) white & dark green cardstock, Stampin' Up Beyond the Garden patterned papers, Stampin' Up Elements of Style stamp, Memories black & tumbled glass distress inks, watercolour pencils, Spellbinders oval & scalloped oval dies, Fiskars threading water punch, Rock Candy distress Stickles, pop-dot tape (celebrate) white, mauve & purple cardstock, Pink Cat Studio Farm Animals stamps, Memento tuxedo black, VersaMagic purple hydrangea & Memento lulu lilac inks, yellow Sharpie, watercolour pencils, Cuttlebug happy birthday embossing folder, Tiara Glitz Stickles, $ store ribbon, Creative Memories corner-rounding punch, pop-dot tape

Pin It Now!

6 comments:

Emily Leiphart said...

Two great cards, Linds! I had no idea what the acronym stood for so thanks for stating that. I really love your colouring and layering of papers on the first card! Those chicks and fun embossing folder on the second are fabulous! I love how the yellow pops against the purple.

Jessi Fogan said...

Where did this go in my reader? Well, at least I'm here now, lol.
I find that crafters are almost always the only folks who can see the resemblance between two cards - I worry sometimes about things being too similar, and most people just look & say 'but it's totally different!' And CASEing yourself is really the best form of flattery. You pick something you liked anyway, and make it better :)
Do you know, I've had that Pink Cat set forever, and I don't think I've ever used the chicks? I really have to try that glitter-brayer technique too :)

Kary said...

Wow! Wow! Lindsey, these 2 new cards look amazing!! I love the flowers on the first card, you made it look SO Beautiful!! And your second card is so fun, love the purple and the cute chicks. Well done!!

Donelda said...

Your original cards are great ... and your new cards are also great. I love the bright yellow one so much!

Lisa Arana said...

Wow Lindsey, your retakes are amazing! That first one pops off the page. Just gorgeous.

Jen W. said...

Fabulous CASEing! Your first card is stunning. Gorgeous colouring and I love the inked edges around the die cut. Love the scalloped edge over the patterned paper too. Gotta get myself another brayer and give it a try. I bought one ages ago, never used it and when I finally dug it out of a drawer it had cracked! Weird. And useless. :)