Saturday, October 15, 2016

Day of the Dead

Happy Saturday! It's time for a spooky new challenge at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!


D is for DAY OF THE DEAD! Edna is looking very macabre today, is she not? She also confirms some of what (I think) I know about this November 1st celebration. And while sure, I could have researched it on Google and Wikipedia, it was way more fun to go with the little information in my brain already and not get limited by, say, the facts. So sticking with sugar skulls and flowers, here's my card: 


One of the benefits of the popularity of adult colouring books has to be the vast array of images on the internet. Sugar skull cat? Sure, no problem! I found mine here. He's coloured in with regular markers. Putting him aside while I made the background, I quite liked the idea of taking what's ordinarily a pretty staid roses background and using it for a Day of the Dead card. I patted four colours of purple ink on my craft mat (and if you know me at all, you'll recognize that as code for butcher paper) and smooshed my embossed panel. I added a black circular frame so the skull would really pop. The two flourishes are spritzed with purple and sparkle mists; the diamond is coated with sparkle as well. 



Ready to have some fun with the Sisterhood? Check out the spooky creations by the rest of the team, as well as our latest guest designer, Mimi! You have until October 27th to join us. 

Supplies: white & black cardstock, Strathmore watercolour paper, Impression Obsession Roses stamp, sugar skull cat image from internet, Papertrey Ink lavender moon, winter wisteria, plum pudding & royal velvet inks, Spellbinders circle & ? flourish dies, Laurentien markers, Perfect Pearls forever violet & Imagine Crafts Sheer Shimmer sparkle mists, Spectrum Noir crystal clear sparkle marker

Pin It Now!

8 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Fab card, I wish I could have tracked down a sugar skull cat image, Jo x

Jane Willis said...

A sugar skull cat - whoever thought of creating that image? It's gorgeous though and absolutely perfect for this challenge
Jane

Mimi said...

I think you win... this is too damned cool! I love that background and those glowing green eyes! Winner, winner...

Donna said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I love love love love love your sugar skull kitty!!
He is perfect
And all that purple...also perfect
Fab job sistah!

Barbara Godden said...

I'm with Donna, you used a couple of favourite things, kitties and purple wow. love, love love your card,

Chris Dring said...

Yep. Sugar skull cat card. You win. This is amazing!

Jen W. said...

Edna is actually creeping me out a little bit... That cat, however, is seriously cool.

Jocelyn Olson said...

What a cool card! You found a cat sugar skull? Crazy cool. LOVE the background. I cannot believe those were roses....you made them so chic!