Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Two CAS CASEs for Hallowe'en*

These are the last of my Hallowe'en creations for this year. I'm almost sure. ;) And although I thought I was still on a run of ideas, I suddenly hit a creative Hallowe'en wall. It took me a few days, but then it hit me... I have the September/October issue of PaperCrafts magazine (thanks, Meg!) and could look to it for inspiration! My first card is inspired by the online bonus project on p. 41.




When I first looked at the thumbnail picture, I thought, ooh, a yellow vellum moon, what an awesome idea! Then I discovered it wasn't vellum, it was cardstock. But I went with a vellum moon anyway; and I like how the patterned paper behind it gives it a bit of moon-like shadowing. A bat, a sentiment, and a black base... and call it done.
If you've seen this magazine, you'll recognize the source of my inspiration for the second card on p. 36.




This is a much closer CASE: black cardstock wrapped with twine, an image and a sentiment. I rounded the corners because I could; and because it echoes the round shape of the little (so not scary) owl. 
That's a lot of seasonal cards for someone who's not even that big a Hallowe'en fan! :D
*Just in case you're not part of the cult hobby... CAS = clean and simple, my kind of cardmaking style; CASE = copy and share everything, or in other words, take a card idea from someone else, tweak it, and make it your own. ;)


Supplies: (bat card) black cardstock, yellow vellum, Karen Foster patterned paper, Imaginisce Happy Hallowe'en stamp, Brilliance graphite black ink, clear embossing powder, Martha Stewart bat punch; (owl card) black & white cardstock, Unity Mix-Up of Cuteness stamp, Imaginisce Happy Hallowe'en stamp, Brilliance graphite black and moonlight white inks, clear & white embossing powders, Prismacolor pencils, Twinery mandarin twine, Marvy corner-rounder punch, dimensionals Pin It Now!

9 comments:

Donelda said...

these are great halloween cards. I like the effect of the vellum moon and the owl is awesome.

We should do a challenge together ... take a card in the magazine .. both create our "case" or "interpretation" of it .. and then post on the same date linking to each other's posts. That would be fun. If you want to play, let me know.

Karin said...

Your sky looks spooky awesome on your first card and I love the design of the second! Perfect use of twine and the owl is adorable!

Angela said...

Love the way you CASE so CASly. Ooh, new word.

Vellum moon: genius
Owl shading: lovely
Twine:makes me happy.

Emily Leiphart said...

These are fabulous whether they are cases or not! I love them, Linds. That background sky on the first is so cool and the twiney goodness on the second is so pretty!

Jen W. said...

Glad you went with vellum for the moon as it really does give it cool shadows. :) And look at that gorgeous white embossing powder on the bat card! Mine arrived the other day without incident (whew!) and now of course I don't have any interest in using it! Ha!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

That little owl is just tooooo cute! LOVE him sitting on the twine:) LOVE the black background too--very bold! Love your first card too:)

Janna Werner said...

Again superfun cas cards, Lindsey! I love the purple on the first and the yummie twine on the 2nd card! Have a great weekend! Janna

Anonymous said...

fabulous CASE cards! I really love the owl one, that twine treatment is so fun.

Meg said...

YES! My Hallowe'en card arrived yesterday and the vellum moon is so much more awesome than a generic cardstock moon! I'm also loving that paper you used--it's just the perfect shade of purple (which is hard since there are so many not-so-perfect shades out there as we know).

Mr Not-So-Scary Owl is such a cutie! Love the twine branch you made for him to perch on.

I'm so glad you got in the Hallowe'en spirit this year and that I was a lucky recipient of one of your cards!