Friday, October 14, 2011

October 14th Friends with Flair

Happy Friday! It may be autumn (and grey, and rainy...) outside, but I'm thinking sunshine and happy thoughts with today's card: 



I used the crossword bird image again from the October 2010 Kit of the Month. Can't be too many other crossword birds out there! I stamped it twice, masking a bit of the circle out the first time so I could cut out the bird and branch with a little bit of white border. I thought colouring the circle this way made it look a bit like a sun against the blue of the embossed panel. The sentiment is from another Unity set, Bevy of Butterflies. I'm just a little addicted at the moment to inking up my embossing folders to create a bit of a faux-letterpress look. I'm entering this in the faux-letterpress challenge at Yvonne Yam's blog, Do More with Less. I've also added it to today's Friends with Flair over at the Unity blog.
Maybe if we all think sunshine, we'll get some this weekend! Have a good one.


Supplies: white & blue cardstock, Unity October 2010 Kit of the Month "Take Time to Laugh" & Bevy of Butterflies, Brilliance graphite black & tumbled glass distress inks, clear embossing powder, watercolour pencils, Crafts-Too embossing folder, dimensionals Pin It Now!

28 comments:

Jen W. said...

This is officially my new favourite card of yours! I love that image and the sun background and you are ROCKING the faux letterpress technique! :) Have a great weekend!

Marsha said...

Love that embossing.

Crystal said...

Very pretty, love the colors and the embossing!

Joni M said...

I love how you did the background! I love you you colored the stamped image! OMGoodness, I LOVE it all! GREAT card! TFS!

Emily Leiphart said...

First heat embossing and now faux letterpress! You are the queen, Linds. This is super gorgeous. I still haven't inked up that crossword bird image but I love how you use it every time!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OHHH! I just love that bird stamp from Unity!! LOVE how you colored it and popped it up! I also noticed you masked it--SUPER clever idea! It does look like the sun! FAB embossing and the faux-letterpressing:)

Virginia L. said...

SWEET card! I love the soft embossed background and the intricate-looking bird image!!

Ruby said...

Love the embossing and colour on this card.

Linda said...

This so cute. I love it.

JPScraps said...

So pretty. I love the embossing.

Gwen said...

Cool card and if I had an embossing machine...I would totally be into the faux letterpress look! Love it!

yyam said...

Oh wow! This looks fabulous! Love your faux letterpressed background and that awesome bird! :)

Thanks for playing along with my guest Erin's challenge! :)

Anonymous said...

Wowie!!! Love your letterpress look! and I adore that crossword puzzle birdie. FABBY!

Glenda J said...

Really pretty! Great work.

jennifer mitten said...

This is so pretty!

ddazzled71 said...

A beautiful embossed background and I love the way you have stamped your crossword Bird. Just gorgeous!

Noelle Reese said...

This is really perfect! I love it!

Jocelyn Olson said...

Oh my awesome-ness! I think this is one of my favorite cards of yours! The faux letterpress is fantastic (I thought it was heat embossed). I love the way you masked and colored the crossword bird--wow!

Emily Keaton said...

Sweet card! I love that crossword birdie. So cool. :)

Kary said...

Wow!! Such a gorgeous card!! Love the crossword bird!! Great job!!

Donelda said...

Yes, I like the way you think ... we should all channel sunshine and it will happen! This card is awesome!! You were so right with the yellow circle looking like the sun! Cool crossword bird! I've not had luck with the letterpress technique .. yours looks awesome!!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Fabulous card, love the added texture the inked up embossing folder looks on this card, thanks for joining me at Yvonne's Do More With Less Challenge.

Rachel B said...

Love the flourishes on the background and your focal image is great!

sharon g said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the bird!!

Jen M said...

Very pretty - love how you did the embossing!

Roslyn said...

I love how you did the background - I definitely want to try that! This is a beautiful card!

Meg said...

It definitely worked because we had some gorgeous sunshine here this weekend!

Love the letterpress embossing--that blue turned out so pretty. Cutting out the bird really makes it pop, too.

Angela said...

Your faux letterpressing never ceases to amaze me. And I do love that crossbird :)