Sunday, February 5, 2017

Canine Valentine

In a happy confluence of events, I wanted to make a valentine with a dog on it, and there seem to be a number of pet/dog-related challenges out there in cardmaking land! Here's my card: 


So far, this is my favourite of the Tim Holtz Crazy Dogs. He's stamped on watercolour paper and coloured with Zigs. For the background, I mixed embossing paste with a drop of red reinker and applied it through a stencil. After that was dry, I used watercolour powder for the background. Hey! Now I know that dye ink will still run with water even after it's mixed with embossing paste and left to dry overnight! I decided I could live with it since it somewhat camouflaged the way the embossing paste splooched under the stencil in a couple of places. Wouldn't "wet, slobbery kisses" be the perfect sentiment for this? Alas, I don't have that, so this one had to make do. Finally, I bordered the main panel with some textured black cardstock and pawprint washi tape. 
Challenges I'm entering: Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge: Pets Corner; Just Us Girls: Dogs; and Addicted to CAS: Pets (borderline on the CAS, I know, but with one main image and sentiment and not too many layers, I'll risk it). 



Supplies: white & Bazzill textured black cardstock, Strathmore watercolour paper, Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Mini Crazy Cats & Dogs stamp & die, Simon Says Stamp Furry Kisses sentiment stamp, MFT black licorice ink, Zig clean colour real brush markers, Heidi Swapp confetti stencil, Dreamweavers translucent embossing paste, Stampin' Up real red reinker, Magenta Nuance cerulean blue watercolour powder, Queen & Co. washi tape, pop dots, fun foam

Pin It Now!

9 comments:

Susan said...

I never get tired of this little guy...your background is so pretty it really makes your puppy pop! Thanks for sharing at ATCAS!

Barbara Godden said...

Awesome doggie card, great job with the background. Love it.

Macarena said...

It's just perfect! I adore the blue background with strong red of the hearts. The side panel is awesome and the dog coloring is stunning. Thank you for joining us over at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

Jen W. said...

I do love his goofy face and droopy eyelids. :) I really need to play with these guys some more. They are being woefully neglected. Love the background too and didn't really noticed the running until you pointed it out. :P

Lisa Kind said...

That would be the perfect sentiment for this dog! Love the background! Cute card! Thanks for playing with Just Us Girls!

Anonymous said...

Your background is superb and the trail of hearts is so perfect rising from your crazy dog!

Chris Dring said...

Wow! Just...Wow! LOVE that background,the hearts (never noticed they bled until I read you mentioning it, btw) and that goofy doggie! So adorable! So glad you entered this at Just Us Girls!

Barb Ghig said...

Beautiful watercolored background, and I LOVE your pup! I love the sweet sentiment, too! So glad you played along with us this week at Addicted to CAS!

Jaydee said...

Stunning background and I love the little hearts. Such a great card. So glad you joined us at AtCAS this week
jaydee