Monday, November 19, 2012

Variations on a Theme

I like my blog post title today; it sounds so much better than, say, stuck in a rut. :D I do seem to get that way when it comes to making sympathy cards, though. Many agree that they're among the most difficult cards to make, so when you find a design that works, it only makes sense to stick with it for a while. A few weeks ago, I made this card for a friend, and now I've made this card for another friend whose father-in-law died recently. 

Slightly different patterned paper, slightly different mix and configuration of images, different placement of sentiment. I almost hesitated to show this card, but luckily for me, Scrapbooker's Paradise is having a CASE yourself challenge (PPC#93). (CASE = copy and share everything.) One could argue that I didn't exactly take my other design and improve it, but there's no arguing that I did CASE my other card. ;) I couldn't find an ink that would match the paper, so I inked the sentiment in two different inks before stamping, and that seemed to work. 
To look on the bright side of things (which I'm often surprisingly inclined to do) I have yet to need to send a second sympathy card to the same person, so I'm good to go with this design for a while if I want. 
Supplies: white cardstock, My Mind's Eye Honey Cake patterned paper, various Unity & {ippity} stamps, Colorbox frost white & stormy sky & evergreen bough distress inks, WOW white embossing powder, Spellbinders oval die

Pin It Now!

7 comments:

Jen W. said...

You're right - if a design works then go with it. Especially for sympathy cards! And I sure hope you never have to send more than one to anybody...

Jessi Fogan said...

CASE-ing sympathy cards is how I do most of mine. I rarely get that lightning bolt of inspiration for something unique in a sympathy card - and it's hardly the time for flashy anything. As for not 'improving' it - nothing to improve on, Lindsey! You've got the perfect mix at play. Double-inking is a great way to increase your 'matching' inks ;) So glad you could play along in Paradise with us this week!!

Notes by Nina said...

Lovely card Lindsey, the soft colours are perfect for a sympathy card. Thank you for Playing in Paradise with us this week.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

So sorry to hear of the recent loss of your friends' FIL. Praying for peace for her family!!!

What a beautiful card! LOVE those embossed flowers--this is the perfect CAS sympathy card! I agree--super hard to make! But you've nailed it! <3

Cindy C. said...

Very lovely card!

Anonymous said...

I really like the white embossing on patterned paper and if it works for a particular theme then stick with it. I am guilty of getting in a rut often but I prefer to call it being on a roll.
Heather

Angela Fehr said...

This is so pretty. It's a great way to keep from hiding beautiful patterned paper!