Thursday, January 17, 2019

Seize the Birthday - Stamping Only!


It's time for a new challenge at Seize the Birthday, and we have an interesting optional "topping" for you this time around! 


Our theme for the next two weeks is "stamping only". I call it interesting because none of of were sure precisely what we meant by that! I decided to take it as a challenge to create my own background paper. It also encouraged me to finally give my MFT plaid builder stamps an outing. For the first one, I picked warm and sunny colours for my plaid: 


I used two of the same colours as in the plaid for inking these two plaid-reminiscent butterflies before stamping and embossing the black sentiment. I wasn't sure if embellishments were *allowed* under the stamping only theme, so I left my card unadorned. 


My first experiment in plaid-making was successful enough that I made another one, this time in blues: 


This time, since it was my second card, I chose to add a trio of Studio Katia crystals underneath the sentiment. 


Even though I did take the time to make my own plaids, I think these designs are clean and simple enough to enter in Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday clean and simple challenge. 
Be sure to check out the stamped creations of my team members as well as our current surprise party guest, Julie! We'd love to have you join the party with a birthday creation of your own.


Supplies: (butterflies) Neenah white cardstock, MFT Plaid Background Builder, Unity Bevy of Butterflies & Clearly Besotted Fancy Sayings stamps, Versafine onyx black & Catherine Pooler tiara, orange twist & mandarin spice inks, Wow clear embossing powder, Winnie & Walter Katharine cutaway & Spellbinders reverse wonky rectangles dies, foam tape; (star) Neenah white cardstock, MFT Plaid Background Builder, Unity star & Simon Says Stamp Essential Greetings stamps, Versamark & Altenew Arctic, Caribbean sky & sapphire inks, Wow clear embossing powder, Sunny Studio Stamps fishtail banners dies, Studio Katia sapphire (September) crystals

Pin It Now!

12 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Two gorgeous cards, Lindsey! Love the colours, patterns and shapes you've chosen, Jo x

Vicki Dutcher said...

Fabulous plaid stamping on both cards!

Kim Heggins said...

Two simply fabulous cards...love your wonderful plaids, so fun!

Barbara said...

Wow! You made your own background? When it comes to plaid backgrounds, it is not easy. Ask me how I know? So I stick to watercolors and other elements for that. After seeing yours, maybe I will try again. Great card!

TaeEun said...

Your DIY stamped plaid backgrounds look great on both cards, Lindsey! Love both layout with different white partial panels!

Nancy said...

I bought a stamp recently to make my own plaid background! These sure have inspired me to not be afraid and give it a try! Who knows maybe this weekend! Really love the bright orange and yellow one! HUGS!

Cathy said...

These are gorgeous plaid backgrounds, you rocked the stamping only topping, Cathy x

Julie B said...

Two fab cards and like you I was a little bit confused by the stamping only so really had to think hard about it. You certainly got the stamping only right with your gorgeous backgrounds. :)

JoAnn said...

Love your plaid stamping on both cards with those lovely color combos. Great job with the stamping only topping.

Ashwini Rao said...

MFT plaid builder stamps is one of my favorites to make a plaid background, and you've totally pulled it off with these two cards!! Love the color tones and that you've kept that pure 'Stamping Only'!! Yay!!

Glenda J said...

You rocked it with the plaids! Great choices on the colour combos.

Marlena M. said...

BEAUTIFUL plaid in both colors! The blue fishtail look is so handsome!!!