Saturday, April 21, 2018

X is for XYLOID


Just in case you didn't major in botany, Edna is doing her best to give you a big hint as to the latest theme at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers — X is for Xyloid! (Merriam-Webster: xyloid - resembling wood : having the qualities or nature of wood : woody, ligneous.) Lots of possibilities here — wood veneers, patterned paper, tree stamps... you get the idea. I have lots of woodgrain patterned paper, but decided to see if I could make my own, and ended up really pleased with the result!  


My woodgrain panel reminds me of the original panelling in the den of my childhood home, which was built around 1950, so I thought the vintage theme worked quite well with it. It started as a panel of white cardstock that I sponged with two shades of distress ink. Then I put the darker brown right on my woodgrain impression plate before running it through my Cuttlebug. From there it was an easy matter to colour up a crazy bird, back him with a little vellum so he'd stand out more, and put the card together with the sentiment. I like how the only white on the card is his eyes. 
Lots of xyloid interpretations on the Snarky blog today, including from our latest Queen of Snark and guest designer Karola! Grab something wood-related (I'm totally avoiding any snark as I write this sentence) and come join us! 

Supplies: white & Stampin' Up naturals ivory cardstock, Canson watercolour paper, vellum, Stampers Anonymous/Tim Holtz Bird Crazy & Crazy Things stamps & dies, Hero Arts Irreverent Birthday Messages stamp, Versafine onyx black, MFT black licorice & antique linen & vintage photo distress inks, Ranger clear embossing powder, Zig watercolour markers, Papertrey Ink woodgrain impression plate, foam tape

Pin It Now!

6 comments:

Barbara Godden said...

Oh my you are so good at colouring up those Tim Holtz crazy birds (dogs and cats too) He looks awesome and your background is fantastic. Fabby idea to back the bird with vellum All round great card.

Jane Willis said...

Absolutely wonderful background, brilliant job of making your own wood. Love the card!

Dotty Jo said...

I congratulate you on your ligneous beauty! Jo x

Donna said...

Fannnnnnnnntastic!!
AND - you taught the rest of us what xyloid means lol
Love your crazy bird!
Grab something wood related - well well well LMAO

Majo said...

You are so cool, Sweetheart ♥

Tracey McNeely said...

Ha ha ha love that sentiment!