Thursday, March 29, 2018

Happy Bird-day at Seize the Birthday!


Happy Thursday! And for many, the last day before a long weekend. Thursday also means it's time for a new Seize the Birthday challenge to begin! Our latest *topping* theme is BIRDS — always optional, but a great way to add a spring birthday card to your stash. 


I almost went the Bird Crazy route for a humorous card, but it didn't feel like a colouring day, so I went with a colour layering bird instead. Not that I find lining up the various layers any less challenging than colouring would have been. I even added an extra bit of shading by adding two colours of purple (the old "rock and roll" technique) to the base layer to darken his belly a bit. The die cut branch was made a few weeks ago, when I was experimenting with different tissue paper techniques. I randomly stamped my base layer with a couple of leafy stamps, then splattered a bit of ink around to soften the look a bit more. And you have to love when you can find a card base that matches so well when you haven't planned ahead. ;) Although I'm stretching the definition a little bit, I've looked at the design team's cards for the current Addicted to CAS challenge, Birds, and hope this card is acceptable there. I know I meet the requirements for the current Anything Goes Wednesday challenge at Simon Says Stamp
There are many different bird cards flying around on the Seize the Birthday blog, by the regular team and our current surprise party guest Kim. I hope you'll dig into your stash of bird-themed supplies and come and join us! (And if birds aren't your thing, we love to see all birthday cards.) 



Supplies: white & Hero Arts celadon layering cardstock, tissue paper, Hero Arts Color Layering Bird stamps and die, Gina K Tropical Flowers & Clearly Besotted Message Me stamp, Altenew soft lilac, lavender fields, Persian blue & sapphire, Memento new sprout & bamboo leaves, & iced spruce & bundled sage distress inks, Ranger snowflake embossing tinsel, Hero Arts spring branch & MFT blueprints 24 stitched rectangle dies

Pin It Now!

10 comments:

KimCreate said...

Hi! Love your card. I need to get a layered bird syamp like this, so pretty! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Tracy Freeman said...

Its a lovely card, the bird is stamped brilliantly and love the background.
Thanks for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge. Have a great day x

Barbara Godden said...

Gorgeous card, love that bird, I have a couple of layering stamps but sadly they have never seen ink. perhaps I'll get the flamingo out and give it a go. just for you.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Fabulous Spring card -- great dual stamped bird too

Nancy said...

This card is sensational Lindsey and I have to agree with you that sometimes lining up those stamps is harder than coloring...LOL. Love that your rolled your stamp to give his underbelly more definition. Sensational card and Happy Easter to you! BTW...you always do a great job with writing your blog as well!

Anonymous said...

Truly, a lovely card, Lindsey! That bird is just so gorgeous! And I love how you've added so many subtle leaves in the background, giving the impression of a tree. Wonderful card!
hugs, Ashwini

Barbara said...

Sometimes I would rather not line up a layered stamp. That is because I never get them straight the first time and I need to do it over. Your bird is not like that, and I am encouraged to try layering again.
Love the soft green card base and the pattern paper to match. Nice spring birthday card for female or masculine.

TaeEun said...

The layered stamping of the bird looks perfect! Love the bird and the branch, but the subtle stamping on the background and the matching cardbase are such great touches in your design!

stampwithsandy said...

Just beautiful, Lindsey! I had this stamp set but could never get the layers to properly line up. You lined them up perfectly!

Glenda J said...

That bird is fantastic! Love this colour combo too.