Thursday, August 17, 2017

Anything Goes at Seize the Birthday

 

I'm playing along at the Seize the Birthday party again! And this week is a straight up Anything Goes challenge... any birthday-themed card will do! (Actually, that's always true! But there's not even an optional topping this week.) 


My mother-in-law's 95th birthday is in just a few days! So I used the challenge to make a birthday card that will go to her. 


My mother-in-law is a cryptic crossword pro, still works on them regularly, and taught me the arcane art of solving them as well. So I bought this crossword sentiment set a couple of years ago with her in mind. About time I used it! While I totally understand why, it's unfortunate the "happy" is so low on the grid, so I emphasized it by stamping it again on my mauve cardstock and paper-piecing it. I thought my embossing folder was suitably grid-like. The flower is not my usual style of embellishment, but it seemed just the right way to finish this. 
CAS on Friday (which used to be CAS on Sunday) is having a birthday challenge at the moment, so I will enter this there. And since it's definitely front and centre, I'll also play along with the "Add a Sentiment" Wednesday challenge at Simon Says Stamp
You can always use a birthday card or two, so why not come and join the party! 



Supplies: white & mauve cardstock, Stampin' Up Cross My Heart & Unity Giving It All Meaning stamps, Versafine onyx black & Altenew lavender fields inks, Ranger clear & Hero Arts clear sparkle embossing powders, Spellbinders grid embossing folder, Maya Road velvet flower, fun foam

SaveSave Pin It Now!

9 comments:

JoAnn said...

What a fun card. Love the crossword sentiment and I bet your MIL will love your card. I like how you emphasized the word Happy.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Perfect for a crossword puzzle enthusiast!

TaeEun said...

What a fun birthday card for a crossword lover! It was a fabulous idea to paperpiece the word happy!!!

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous card Lindsey, I am sure your MIL will love this! the embossed background and CAS design are perfect :-)

thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
Luv
Lols x x x

Barbara Godden said...

CAS perfection, Super card for the crossword enthusiast.

Nancy said...

Love the personalized card for your MIL. I think the flower sets it off nicely as well! Great card Lindsey!

stampwithsandy said...

What a great card for your mother-in-law, Lindsey! This is my favorite part of being a card maker, making something very specific to them that you know they will love!

Patti said...

Awww this is so sweet!! My mother-in-law LOVED crossword puzzles too and worked them until the day before she died : ) I am sure your Mom will LOVE this one!

Patti

Glenda J said...

Great CAS design for your MIL (95!!! Wow). Terrific colours and texture too. Been so great having you play along with us.