Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Playing with Paint Chips

I do like my paint chips. They're free, come in a huge variety of colours and styles, have a nice finish... and did I mention they're free? ;) Paint chips can be a bit tricky to work with, but if you mess up -- oh well, it was free! 
Every once in a while, I get out my bin of paint chips and see what happens. Here's one thing that happened:



A version of this card gets made every year -- it's my husb's favourite. (Eventually, we'll run out of people we haven't already sent it to, I suppose.) The only adornments are a really thin mat of platinum pearl paper (surprisingly difficult to see in the photo) and a rhinestone in the centre of the star. 
I played some more, and this resulted:



I finally tried colouring my old office supply-type brads with embossing powder, and it works so well! (I emboss everything, yet had never tried this. Silly.) I thought the patterned paper was a perfect backdrop for the sparkly tree. Since I'm so proud of my brads, I'm going to enter this in the current (well, for another few hours) Do You Stack Up (DYSU) challenge to use them. 
I'll be back tomorrow with a fun new challenge from Crafty Creations Challenges! (This week's "Just One" is still open till sometime in the wee hours this morning.) There may or may not be more paint chips involved.


Supplies (polar bear) white cardstock, platinum pearl paper, navy paint chip, Westover Enterprises stamp, Colorbox frost white ink, Wow white embossing powder, Stampin' Up basic rhinestone; (Christmas tree) white and Recollections green linen-finish cardstock, Echo Park very merry Christmas music notes patterned paper, red paint chip, Prima Marketing stamp, Versamark, Ranger snowflake embossing tinsel & real red embossing powder, brass brads, iridescent cord

Pin It Now!

7 comments:

Denise said...

Love your card - that sparkly tree is so pretty.
Thanks for joining us at DYSU this week xx

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

I absolutely looooooooove that bear image! Fab stamping on that paint chip--I find that my images smudge because the paint chips are too slippery! Must get some lessons from you:) Great cards!

Jessi Fogan said...

That paint chip is huge! The only ones I've ever seen have the multiple colours on them....where did you obtain this magical item?? I know exactly what you mean about making a version of the same card every year - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have a bunch of cards like that!
Love the tree too - the pattern on it is gorgeous, and how perfect is that paper!! Embossing the brads is a brilliant idea - tricky at times, but totally worth the effort :)

Jen W. said...

Loving that polar bear image and how perfectly crisp it looks on the paint chip. Genius!! The paper is totally perfect for the tree cad and how on earth do you emboss brads?? Do you stick them in something so they stand up straight? They look awesome!

Lisa Arana said...

Beautiful cards! And genius idea for the brads!

Glenda J said...

Fabulous cards! Great idea for the paint chips and the brads!!! Love!

Anonymous said...

The polar bear on navy is perfect, so crisp and clean. The tree and text combo works beautifully too especially with the link of the coloured brads.
Heather