Monday, November 26, 2012

One Layer Practice

I don't make a lot of one-layer cards, despite being a clean and simple (plain and boring?) ;) cardmaker. For one thing, my biggest fan, most constructive critic, and co-sender of many of my creations thinks most one-layer cards look too 'simple'. But tags are another story -- they're TAGS! So they are a perfect chance to practice some one-layer techniques and use up some scraps. 
Technique #1: faux layers



With some post-it notes to mask the edges, it's easy to create the impression of layers with stamping and/or sponging. The negative snowflake punch adds a bit of interest. 


 Technique #2: glitter!



Using a glittery embossing powder adds some fun! 

Technique #3: colouring



You can't go wrong with a cute polar bear image! He's coloured with watercolour pencils. 
Thanks, Heather, for the inspiration to make some one-layer tags with a little more to them then the tags I might make, say, on December 23 or so. :P I'm linking these up to this week's One Layer Wednesday challenge (OLW#115), hosted by Heather this week. And now that I've been back to the post to pick up the link, I realize that Heather's punched tags must have imprinted subliminally. ;) 

Supplies: (snowflake) white cardstock, Local King Rubber Stamp snowflake background, Colorbox frost white & Brilliance pearlescent sky blue inks, WOW white embossing powder, Martha Stewart snowflake punch; (tree) white cardstock, Unity August 2011 Kit of the Month (All Seasons) & Paper Smooches birthday buddies stamps, Versamark, Memento tuxedo black & Versacolor green inks, Ranger green embossing tinsel; (polar bear) kraft cardstock, Stamp Barn & Inkadinkado stamps, Colorbox frost white ink, Wow white embossing powder, watercolour pencils, black sharpie; (all) ribbon and metallic cord scraps


Pin It Now!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all three of these tags and actually want to try a glittery one myself even though the glitter aftermath usually makes reluctant.

You might appreciate the irony of my situation yesterday. One of my brother's friends from Australia was visiting us and agreed to take back some Christmas gifts for us. I quickly wrapped them, taped some plain white tags on and wrote the names! That's all, no stamping, no "To & From", no design whatsoever! On the week I host a tag challenge of all things!

Anonymous said...

Cool tags ... particularly love the inking and negative snowflake! Anita in France :)

Jessi Fogan said...

Oh, I love the look of all of these! I must say I think I love the polar bear best, though. He's just so darn SWEET looking! My husband also thinks most of the one-layer cards are too simple looking, but I'm starting to like this CAS thing :)

Ardyth said...

Holy cow - for someone who doesn't do one layer, you certainly did it! And so well! I love each one of them (although if pushed, I might choose the snowy sky as my favourite, but that polar bear is adorable!)

Emily Leiphart said...

OLCs are too simple? Never! :P I love these tags and I still need to get some of that silver and gold string!

Jen W. said...

These are gorgeous! Love the soft feel of the first one and that glitter embossing powder rocks on the second one!